BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Cover to Cover: Mr. Blue Sky

Nutritious and Disco-ey
Mr. Blue Sky by Electric Light Orchestra is one of those polarizing songs. It's what the Brits would call a "Marmite" song , and what I'd call a 69 song; You either love it or you hate it and few people fall in between. (Or maybe you did love it before starting to hate it when it inexplicably began turning up fucking everywhere about 2006. Fair point on that one.)

If you're in the pro group you're getting all excited/nostalgic/bouncy right now. If in the con group you're leaving vitriol in the comments and treating your next meeting/client/customer to your own special brand of asshattery.

But balls to you and your clients because I like it and I run this joint.

No, the song's not deep. Yes, it's disco. But shucks, I shamelessly and geekily fall into the first category two paragraphs up. Mr Blue is one of my happy songs, one that cheers me up for stupid reasons, and one that I'll likely bounce around to even in my inevitable zombie apocalypse hideout. So if you don't like it, you'll just have to hide out with some other zombie apocalypse team where you will be attacked and conquered by my team totally fine.

Just last week I heard The Spinto Band's cover of the song for the first time. Of course there are decent others. There's:

The Spinto Band:

0002 Spinto Band - Mr Blue Sky (ELO) by Mr. Shuffleupagus

Lily Allen:

07 Mr Blue Sky by Mr. Shuffleupagus

 And the original ELO:
04 - Electric Light Orchestra - Mr. Blue Sky by Mr. Shuffleupagus


The question is: who covers better? The Spinto Band or Lily Allen? Vote carefully--your post-apocalypse allegiances may depend on this one. 

There are only so many guns to go around, remember...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...