BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Behind The Scenes: How to Act Bad

I shallowly admit that the lifestyle of the artist sometimes means as much, if not more, to me than the art itself. My love for The Great Gatsby is irrevocably tied to the diamond-encrusted trainwreck that was the Fitzgeralds. Dandy in the Underworld is one of the books I'm reading right now. Popism is the other. In fact, I'd bet my appreciation for 1960's pop art (not to mention the Velvet Underground) is directly related to my deep desire to be a tweaked, fashionable fly on Andy Warhol's Factory wall. 

Call it trivial, childish or impractical. I'm called all those things and worse on a regular basis. I can't help it; my love of art is often firmly entwined with my love of insanity. Music included. Maybe music especially. One thing that keeps me from loving indie-staple Wilco, besides oh-God-where-do-I-start, is the 2002 documentary I Am Trying to Break Your Heart. Striving to capture the musician's classic "vision vs. money" struggle, it does more to show the run-of-the-mill henpecking and anxiety of a bunch of neurotic white dudes, complete with one agonizing battle against--wait for it--migranes.  I will be forever prejudiced against the perfectly decent Yankee Hotel Foxtrot for that documentary. Yes, Wilco commits the cardinal sin of being boring and that just will not stand with me.


No, I like my artists' lives bigger, louder, and more than regular people's. So when a friend sent me a link to something called "How to Act Bad" she was after no less than my very own heart. And I've already mentioned my love for rock-docs so when it turned out to be an Adam Green documentary, two points for her.


From the looks of it, it's Adam Green doing his best Julian Casablancas-in-a-Lou-Reed-contest shtick onstage, and his best musician-brat-in-a-rock-God-contest shtick offstage. And that's fine by me because I like it all.

Filmmaker/friend of the artist Dima Dubson has been following Adam Green on tour for a year, getting an inside look at.... this stuff:



You can find more information about the project here, including where to donate to make the film happen. Because how much would that producer credit impress ladies at the pub, guys? It'd be like having two big penises.

And just for kicks this video for Breaking Locks was also directed by Dubson:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...