BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, December 31, 2010

You Can Argue but You Can't Win: Mr Shuffleupagus' Favourite Albums of 2010 (Part Two)

Time for my five favourite records of 2010. I'm telling you, as much fun as it is to do, ranked lists are tough. So feel free to put anything you think I missed or any lists of your own in the comments where I can judge appreciate them.

Or if you hate me personally, just go ahead and put that in the comments. It all brings extra site hits, so I win either way.

If you missed #11-#6 you can find them here. And #5-#1 are:


#5. Local Natives, Gorilla Manor
There is not a track out of place on this album-- it has a distinct, memorable sound and is confident as hell. After all, it takes balls to go toe to toe with Talking Heads, and even more talent to come out ahead.
And those drums, man. Those driving drums make every song impossible to turn off.






#4. Arcade Fire, The Suburbs
Even a couple months ago, I thought this album was only alright and never would have predicted it being on this list. But for reasons beyond me, I kept pressing play and the more I listened to it the more I wanted to listen to it. It's not that it grew on me-- it's more like I began to get it.
And yes, I know that sounds really, really pretentious.

(For personalized video go here. Type in your childhood address, watch, cry, repeat.)





#3.Beach House, Teen Dream
Back in the summer my best friend announced that "this is the most beautiful album of the year."
"It's only August," I said. "Give it a bit."
Goddamn. He was right.




(I put this up, because the "official" video is creepy as fuck.)




#2. The Black Keys, Brothers
It doesn't matter what kind of music you listen to--everyone likes the Black Keys. So if you don't like this album you must be a tone-deaf Nazi. It's the only way.









#1. The Tallest Man on Earth, The Wild Hunt
You know an album is special when you stop a conversation to find out what's playing, which is exactly what I did the first time I heard Kids on the Run. And if I owned this album in a non-digital format, it would be worn out. It's honest without being hokey, upbeat without being inane, spare but not simplistic, wistful not moping, classic not tired...and all in Kristian Matsson's trademark warble that threatens to break your heart. Every. Single. Time.




5 comments:

  1. I'm not going to argue, but that is a big call putting tallest man on earth in the top spot. Clearly I need to give the album a better listen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true...it was a bold call. But while rank is personal, I'd say it has the chops to be on this list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Sufjan Stevens? This is a wonderful list; I'm just surprised Age of Adz isn't here. It seems to match the rest of the material.

    Also, very glad you put Beach House so high, it deserves more credit than it's getting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choice for number one. Made number 12 on our list over at Neon Filler HQ http://www.neonfiller.com/wordpress/?p=1180

    Wish we'd put it higher now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Neon Filler.
    Personally, if I could go back, I'd remember to put Broken Bells on this list.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...